About FIRST LEGO League
In 1998, the FIRST LEGO League (FLL), a program similar to the FIRST Robotics Competition, was formed. It is aimed at 9-14 year-old students and utilizes LEGO Mindstorms sets to build palm-sized LEGO robots. The combination of interchangeable LEGO parts, computer 'bricks' and sensors, provide preteens and teenagers with the capability to build reasonably complex models of real-life robotic systems.
FLL introduces younger students to real-world engineering challenges by building LEGO-based robots to complete tasks on a thematic playing surface. FLL teams, guided by their imaginations and adult coaches, discover exciting career possibilities and, through the process, learn to make positive contributions to society.
The Junior FIRST LEGO League is a variation of the FIRST LEGO League, aimed towards elementary school children, in which 6-9 year-olds build LEGO models dealing with that year's FLL challenge. At least one part of a model has a moving component. The teams participate in exhibitions around the country, where they demonstrate and explain their models and research for award opportunities.
Students get to
Design, build, test and program robots using LEGO
- Apply real-world math and science concepts
- Research challenges facing today's scientists
- Learn critical thinking, team-building and presentation skills
- Participate in tournaments and celebrations
What FLL teams accomplish is nothing short of amazing. It's fun.
It's exciting, and the skills they learn will last a lifetime.
Facts About FLL
- Projected 23,000 teams worldwide
- Over 230,000 students, ages grades 4-8
- From 80 countries including: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Hungary, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan R.O.C., Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom and United States.
- 939 Qualifying Tournaments; 124+ Championship Tournaments
- FIRST LEGO League World Festival at the FIRST Championship in St. Louis, MO
- Robots are built using LEGO MINDSTORMS technologies
Information from FIRST website